Thursday, April 29, 2010

Do Christians Need the Church?

I have spoken with many people who believe they are true Christians, and yet they see no need for the church. Once I probe a little deeper into their understanding of salvation. I find a truncated view of redemption that is highly individualistic (It's all about me and Jesus!")and often centered on the benefits of a heavenly afterlife (I've prayed the prayer and have my ticket to heaven.")

But once I analyze the gospel presentations that these people heard, I can hardly fault them. The disciples we produce are a direct result of the gospel we preach. If we proclaim a gospel that focuses only on the private experience of the individual and the heavenly benefits for the next life, we should not be surprised to see people dismissing the importance of good works in this life within the context of the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment